Thursday 19 January 2012

Follow the 'Red 'N' Black' road

I don't know wether it's an aesthetics thing, because red and black look so good together, or wether I really believe that all the canvases I've painted in these colours just happen to be my favourites, because I also believe them to be some of my best Infections.  It all started with 'Big Red' as I've come to call it.  Measuring over 7 feet in length and just short of 3 feet deep, 'Big Red' was painted a few years ago for the soul purpose of hanging up in my own front room and is still there now!
The next couple I did were this one I painted for Clive, one of my best friends, as a birthday present and this one that I was commissioned to paint by Dj and music promoter, Electrotrip to hang in the club. 
Interestingly, when he gave me the canvas to paint (which I did as a live art piece in the club during one of his music nights), he hadn't noticed that Elijah, his little boy had scribbled on it, but rather than give it a base coat first and cover them, I used the lines Elijah had left for me to create the figure in the painting that represents a dj. 
This last piece is one I finished just before Christmas and was commissioned by my good friend Gaz, to give to his fiance Rachel as a gift.  The 3 smaller canvases were all roughly A3 size and were done using Posca paint pens, my weapon of choice! 

No comments: