Tuesday 24 July 2012

Brandalism. Advertise THIS!


"With great power, comes great responsibility".  Wise words. (Thanks Stan Lee!) 
The 'power' i'm talking about, is the power of design.  The ability to create a  striking image or piece of typography that makes people stop and think. 
   I was asked to call upon this power recently and use it to take part in the Brandalism project along with 25 other artists. 


   If you live in either Manchester, Bristol, London, Leeds or Birmingham, you may have seen some of our work up on billboards in the last couple of weeks?  The Independent Online ran an article about it the other day.  I'll leave you with links to the Brandalism site and the Independent article underneath this post so you can see for yourself what went into the project and it's effect on the public and the government, but first, here's what I wrote to accompany the piece.....

Television.  Sucking you in since day one.  Endless days of people sat gazing at its sickly facade, destroying braincells and turning  millions of people into zombies.  
Adverts. Television’s own personal weapons grade ammunition.
Fired at us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in billions of homes across the world.  They tell us what to eat, what to wear, how to  LIVE.......?!  Robots! That’s what it’s creating.  
  Individuality fights to break free in the strong willed and creative minds, but in a world controlled through the media, a huge percent of the population are affected by what they tune into day in, day out.
  My image for the project may well be a little obvious,but I believe  the message to be clear. I wanted to create something a lot simpler than my usual Infections and I’ve been using Lego a lot recently, both in my personal design work and building things with the children at my job with Aspired Futures.
  It was indeed an honour to be asked to take part in the project with so  many great artists on board.  I hope the end results inspire something in the people who see them. 



No comments: